- Achieved carbon neutrality in its operations and 100% use of renewable electricity
- Generated 84% of revenues from energy efficient products, systems and services
- Embarked on new five-year journey to double its positive impact on the environment and society
Signify (Euronext: LIGHT) has successfully completed its Brighter Lives, Better World 2020 sustainability program, outperforming on most of the ambitious commitments set when launching the program in 2016.
In 2020, Signify achieved carbon neutrality for all its operations across the world and use 100% renewable electricity. They also generated 84% of their revenues from energy efficient products, systems and services, ahead of their target of 80%. On top of that, Signify sent zero waste to landfill across all their manufacturing sites. With a supplier sustainability performance rate of 99%, the company was well ahead of their 2020 target of 90%. Signify want to assure a safe and healthy workplace for their employees and realised their best-ever safety performance with a total recordable case rate of 0.22, far below their target of 0.35.
“We’re thrilled to announce that we’ve successfully achieved all our 2020 commitments! All of us at Signify can be proud of delivering on our ambitious milestones on carbon neutrality, sustainable revenues, safety, supplier sustainability and zero waste to landfill,” said Nicola Kimm, Head of Sustainability, Environment, Health & Safety at Signify. “Now, we embark on a new, five-year journey to double our positive impact on the environment and society. We will do so by driving our Brighter Lives, Better World program, which is fully connected to our purpose and integrated into our overall company strategy and the way we do business.”
All of Signify’s 2020 achievements contribute to the six United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) where we can make the biggest impact:
- 84% of revenues from a portfolio of sustainable products, systems and services, exceeding the 2020 target of 80%
- 2.923 billion LED lamps and luminaires delivered since 2015, avoiding the release of 72,988 kilotonnes of CO2
- Carbon neutrality for all operations across the world
- Use of 100% renewable electricity
- Zero waste to landfill across all manufacturing sites
- Best-ever safety performance (total recordable case rate of 0.22, target <0.35)
- 99% performance rate in supplier sustainability (target 90%)
- Lit the lives of 6 million people through expansion of solar lighting and supported 9,266 entrepreneurs with technical and business skills development since 2017
In September 2020, Signify launched their new Brighter Lives, Better World 2025 program, with the SDGs as their strategic compass. This program sets even more ambitious commitments. They will double our positive impact on society and the environment. Signify take a value chain perspective and has increased their focus on the positive impact of light. Already carbon neutral in its operations, the company will extend its efforts to enable others to accelerate climate action with the following ambitions:
- Double the pace at which they achieve the 1.5 C scenario of the Paris Agreement
- Double their Circular revenues to 32%
- Double their Brighter lives revenues to 32%
- Double their % of women in leadership to 34%
As recognition of the company’s progress, Signify have been a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index since our IPO for four consecutive years and were named Industry Leader in 2017, 2018 and 2019. In addition, they were again included in CDP’s ‘Climate A list’ for reducing their own environmental impact, as well as in CDP’s ‘Supply Chain A list.’
For more details on Signify’s sustainability performance, visit the website or download the Signify 2020 integrated Annual Report here.
 Acquisitions under the normative integration period for environmental and social disclosures of two years are excluded (including Cooper Lighting Solutions and Klite).
 Sustainable products, systems, and services must demonstrate a measurable positive impact in energy efficiency (10% or greater), the most impactful of our sustainable focal areas.