Luceco reaffirms its carbon-neutral commitment

Leading Electrical and Lighting manufacturer achieves operational carbon neutrality and sets ambitious sustainability targets for the future

Luceco Group, a leading provider of lighting and electrical devices, announces significant progress with its sustainability strategy, achieved against a challenging backdrop, and sets out ambitious targets that will increase the Group’s contribution to the sustainability goals of its customers and wider society.

Significant emission reductions delivered

The Group announces that it achieved its aim of making its own operations carbon neutral in 2021.  It has eliminated or offset all operational greenhouse gas emissions, otherwise known as Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions as defined by the UK Government’s Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (“SECR”) framework.  75% of these emissions previously related to electricity use, which has now been moved to renewable sources.  The remaining 25% related largely to hydrocarbon use, emissions from which are now being offset with high-quality carbon credits in compliance with the Verified Carbon Standard. Scope 3 SECR emissions, which are those emitted by others in the Group’s supply chain through either the sourcing or use of the Group’s products, were quantified for the first time in 2021.  A target for reducing this remaining part of the Group’s carbon footprint will be set in 2022.

Low carbon sales target set

Luceco’s recent acquisition of Sync EV – a leading manufacturer of domestic electric vehicle chargers across the UK – reaffirms the Group’s commitment to help people harness power sustainably in everyday life and promote the adoption of lower carbon alternatives. Leveraging the opportunity presented by LED lighting and EV Chargers, Luceco will seek to grow its annual sales of low carbon products from £56m in 2021 to at least £100m in 2025.

Increased transparency of sustainability performance

The Group, comprising the BG Electrical, Kingfisher Lighting, Luceco Lighting, Masterplug, DW Windsor and Sync EV brands, also joined the Carbon Disclosure Project in 2021 – a not-for-profit charity that runs a global environmental disclosure and grading system – to ensure stakeholders have maximum transparency and an independent assessment of its climate credentials.  The Group also plans to join the influential Science-Based Targets Initiative (“SBTi”) in 2022.

DW Windsor, part of the Luceco Group, has adopted the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) and the Society of Light and Lighting (SLL) Technical Memorandum (TM66) which provides a framework for action and assessment for the lighting industry. With a clear explanation of the ‘Circular Economy’ TM66 identifies how circular principles can be embraced by specifiers and manufacturers such as Luceco Group.

John Hornby CEO of Luceco Group commented: “Operating sustainably is a key part of the Group’s culture and is reflected within our Purpose, Mission and Strategy. In recognising that more can be done to reduce our carbon emissions, we have outlined ambitious targets for 2022 and beyond. 

“There is no doubt that everyone has a role to play in reducing emissions, and we will strive to achieve our long-term goals and key decarbonisation milestones to mitigate the effects of climate change and protect generations for years to come.”

 

Comments are closed.

    Inspired Lighting right-hand skyscraper Aug 21
    Ecopac Meanwell Skyscraper Sep 20
    Pharos right-hand skyscraper April 2022
    Recolight right-hand skyscraper April 2020
  • A1 Lighting Twitter

  • Facebook